The First Presbyterian Church of Wooster is a covenant community on a spiritual journey in response to what God has done for us in Christ. Empowered by the Holy Spirit, we join together to:
- Worship God.
- Strive to be a nurturing community where all who want to be disciples of Christ feel welcome.
- Invite people to join others in working together, studying and growing in faith.
We go forth into the world to:
- Proclaim the good news of God’s grace.
- Minister in Christ’s name to those in need.
- Work for justice, reconciliation, and peace.
Who We Are Today
First Presbyterian Church is deeply involved with numerous community programs and has been instrumental in founding many of them. Some of our partnerships are with the Viola Startzman Free Clinic, Habitat for Humanity, and People to People Ministries. We have a Day Care Center for senior citizens as well as Wee Care Day Care for children.
Less well known are some of the activities in which our congregants participate, although those activities are as important as the better known ones. We have members involved with children’s sports, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, political groups, educational clubs, to name but a very few.
The First Presbyterian Church congregation reflects the diversity of the Wooster community, including traditional and non-traditional families, single people, college students, and many people of seminary experience. This church family strives to be multicultural, intergenerational, and inclusive, welcoming all who seek to follow Jesus Christ. Won’t you consider joining us for Sunday worship or one of our many activities?
Learn more about our church in the 2012-13 Annual Report
WHAT WE BELIEVE
A good summary of Presbyterian beliefs and information about our denomination, The Presbyterian Church (USA), may be found at http://www.presbyterianmission.org/ministries/101/
Who We Were–A Brief History
The origins of First Presbyterian Church, Wooster Ohio, go back to 1815 when fifteen Scottish and Irish settlers gathered in a home on West Liberty Street to form a Presbyterian Congregation. A small brick building was erected there for worship. As the congregation grew, land for the second church building at the corner of North Walnut and West North Streets was donated by John and Elizabeth Christmas in 1848. In 1927, the cornerstone for a neo-gothic building was laid at the corner of College Ave and East Bowman Street, where the present sanctuary and related structures were erected. In 2005, the congregation undertook another major addition to better equip this historic congregation for ministry in the 21st century.
While in the Walnut Street building, during the pastoral leadership of the Rev. James Reed, the congregation organized the College of Wooster under the auspices of the Ohio Synod of the Presbyterian Church. Church member Ephraim Quinby gave twenty acres on the hill above the present building for the college seat, becoming one of the first trustees. Another church member, John Kauke, also a college trustee, provided funds for an early classroom building which now bears his name. During the same years, twenty-five First Presbyterian Church members formed and chartered Westminister Church to provide a campus congregation for college students. First Presbyterian Church has always focused on the needs of the community through a variety of educational and mission outreach ministries that continue to this day.
More detailed information on the church history can be found on the Church History page.